Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sherlock Holmes (2009 movie)

This movie was much better than the previews led me to believe. It was good fun escapism. The main thing that carried the film was the very good chemistry and witty banter between Holmes and Watson. The writing was strong and the acting was really good. The fight scenes were silly, but I could live with it. The villain was good enough, but not great. Inspector Lestrade was a gem. The biggest problem with the film was Rachel McAdams as Holmes' love interest. She really wasn't very interesting or believable and, as is so often the case in Hollywood, the obvious age difference was distracting and offensive. There are plenty of very attractive and capable actresses around Downey's age who could have filled the role. I suppose we can take some solace in that we've come a long way since the days of Harrison Ford and Anne Heche.

3 comments:

Stefani B. said...

Good to know. I believe in some (spin-off) books his love interest is significantly younger than him as well. (Not sure if this is true of the original Sherlock Holmes stories though..I just know it was true of a spin-off we read in Book Club.) Anyway. I've heard surprisingly good things about this show...guess I'll have to see it.

Jamie said...

Good! I've been wanting to see it in theatres once I saw the preview. I've always like Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. I'm glad they're good together.

Unknown said...

I do like that Jude Law...