Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Star Trek: Beginnings

WARNING: SPOILERS
So I guess this really was a pretty good flick. I think I probably should have liked it more than I did. I think my biggest problem is just not being able to get over this problem I have with all of the spin-offs paling in comparison to my first love when it comes to Star Trek: the original series. I had a hard time with said original series kinda being obliterated in this movie. Perhaps if I'd known what I was getting into, I would have liked it better too. I thought I was going to get the "beginnings" for the Star Trek I adore. I didn't realize this movie was a springboard for a whole new Star Trek with an altered reality created so that these characters can be reused some more. I'll grant you, they're good characters; it makes sense that someone wants to squeeze everything out of them. It rubbed me wrong though. I will say, I thought the actors did a very good job of creating younger versions of the beloved characters. I really liked the portrayal of my favorite character, Leonard McCoy. I did have difficulty buying the romance between Spock and Uhura. If they could really be in love in another reality, it seems strange that in the reality with which we have thus far been familiar, we didn't ever even see a spark. I can't say it wasn't a pretty decent flick, but I can't say I wasn't disappointed.

2 comments:

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

It's all true what you say. But, despite it all, I was just so darn entertained by this movie! During, but also all the discussion it provided for me and Dave after we got home. And wasn't it good seeing Spock again? (the old Lenard Nemoy version, I mean) The part when he says, "I have been, and will always be, your friend" -yeah, that got me. As everyone says, the casting was good. I appreciated the emphasis it placed on the Kirk/Spock friendship.
A few more complaints to add to the list, though:
1) too violent, too Hollywoodized
2) weak villain
3) not true to Spock's character (the PDA with Uhura, the part at the end when he wants revenge)