Thursday, July 30, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (film)

Well, the movies are always a let down, as they should be, really. You can't expect them to pull off the books. But I think, of the movies, this one was the least of a let down for me. I actually really like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, and I found him swell in this one. My biggest complaint is Harry's lack of training with Snape, since (in a Darth Vader-esque fashion) Snape is the central character of the series. But you can't shove the whole book into a movie, I know. My other complaint is the complete lack of chemistry in the romances. I'd say Harry and Ginny have negative chemistry, and Ron and Hermione have almost non-existent chemistry. This is also the case in the books though. I will say that I thought there was excellent chemistry between Harry and Hermione in the scene in which he comforted her when she was depressed and jealous over Ron. I guess few people agree, but I'd have liked to have seen Harry hook up with Luna. Slughorn was amusing, though not at all what I pictured. Not fat enough, for one thing. Also, his dubbed memory wasn't as funny as the one in the book---(You'll go wrong, boy, mark my words). All in all, I enjoyed this fim and thought it the best of the Potter films so far.

4 comments:

The Fleming Family said...

I agree. I also don't expect everything to be in the movies, but I didn't like how they didn't haev Dumbledore freeze Harry at the end. And I don't know if they are going to start the next movie with the funeral, but it is imperative that the wand is with Dumbledore in his tomb for the next movie...and not on his desk as shown. But it was the least of the letdowns.
-Danielle

Stefani B. said...

I liked it better than the others as well. I think not re-reading the book recently helped on that count. I thought the humor was more spot on in this one, and much less British. I'll never understand adding scenes that arn't in a book though, then cutting ones that are (the whole burning of the burrow thing).

Laurie said...

I think part of the let down was just the nature of the ending. Very cliff-hanger. Very sad. Very "how the heck are they going to pull this off in one more installment?" But, with the book, the ending created lots of anticipation and endless discussion (remember how all everyone talked about for weeks was Snape?) With the movie, the ending just annoyed me and tired me out. That's the biggest book/movie discrepancy: the books always leave you wanting more. Sure it's fun to see the casting, the effects, and the setting that the movies create, but a little of that goes a long ways.
Anyway, they also left out lots of Voldemort memories, which I thought were pretty key to the book. Oh well. I'm sure I'll still be excited when the 7th comes out. p.s. I think lots of people were disappointed Harry didn't end up with Luna. Dave sure was.

Unknown said...

I also LOVED the scene with Harry and Hermionie. I thought it was the most beautiful of the whole movie. And I also agree that Luna and Harry would have made a great match. Actually I just love Luna. I know she's odd, but I actually think she seems really grounded. That probably reveals a little too much about my own mental state, but I really like her.
I agree whole-heartedly with Laurie...I think the books leave you hungry for more but the movies make you feel like you just ate too much popcorn. But I watch them anyway...all for the love of Harry.